The software itself will ship in the Summer and the developer preview SDK will be available download today through the iPhone Developer Portal.
Many iPhone enthusiasts have long been discussing the idea of multi-tasking support for the iPhone… but Apple have finally done it! Apple are even claiming that their implementation of multi-tasking is the best yet, amongst other smart phones, although it is only available on iPhone models 3GS or above (i.e. not the 3G model) The process of switching between applications is made possible by double-pressing the “home” button (the big round one at the bottom of the iPhone) to reveal a “mini dock” of open applications. Apple claim that multi-tasking will not affect performance of battery life, but this is yet to be seen.
- Multi-tasking support
- Spell checker
- Bluetooth keyboard support for the iPad
- Customisable wallpapers (backgrounds)
- Tap to focus on videos
- Playlist creation for music
- App folders for organising apps (finally!)
- Enhanced Mail app
- iBooks for iPhone
- Enterprise features for managing devices
- Game Center (like xbox live, for scoreboards and match making)
- 1,500 new API’s
- Full camera access
- Background audio
- Background VoIP
- Background location data
- Local notifications (without the need for the pple push notification server)
- Fast app switching
- iAd: Apples own in app advertising
iPhoneConnection will be downloading the 4.0 update, so we can familiarise ourselves with the new features.